Steam has a significant percentage of subscribers worldwide, being a digital video game streaming service. Several issues related to this platform have been published before also.
Steam client bootstrapper not responding is one of the main problems people often suffer. According to the findings, users often face the steam client bootstrapper error every time they attempt to log in to the Steam gaming account.
Experts find it challenging to rule out the main reason for Steam failing to respond, since; there are different configurations and hardware on which it is being used.
But for all those people who face this issue, here are some methods that can help them get rid of responding problems. Keep reading this article to learn about the steam client bootstrapper and various methods to deal with the problem.
What is Steam Client Bootstrapper?
Whenever the Steam crashes, the first error that you see on the screen is steam client bootstrapper not responding. Here the bootstrapper is a steam.exe file, which is also known as the executable format. Once you open it, the software will prompt the operating system to run the program.
Along with this, it also checks for the latest updates and versions. Therefore, if there is any problem with the stream files, there is something to do with the bootstrapper. It is important to fix the steam client bootstrapper for the proper functioning of the Steam.
How to Fix Steam Client Bootstrapper if it Stops Working?
Check out the given below methods to solve the problem before uninstalling and downloading the steam software.
Method 1 – Reconnect Internet
Slow internet is a very common problem that one can face while they are using internet services. As we know that bootstrapper works only with data connectivity, so there are chances that less data speed can become a problem.
In such instances, one should undoubtedly reconnect or disconnect the network to solve the steam client bootstrapper problem. You may be curious to know how can one run free internet on Android.
Method 2 – Clear the Download Cache
The download cache comprises downloaded data or updated files of Steam. It is supposedly used as temporary storage of all the files unless you install your updates in the directory.
You will come across many instances when the data that you download gets corrupted. This can happen either due to internal error or network failure. To fix the bootstrapper, we can surely try deleting all the download cache.
- Step 1: Open the Steam software and move to the ‘Settings’ option. You can find it on the top left of the menu bar
- Step 2: Next, click on ‘Download’, which is located in the Settings panel
- Step 3: Click on ‘Clear Download Cache’. To confirm your choice, then click ‘OK’
- Step 4: Now, Steam asks you to fill in your login credentials
- Step 5: Once you log in again, Steam will start working again
Get to know the fix of steam store not loading
Method 3 – Disable the Compatibility Mode
In some instances, due to hardware compatibility issues, users experience ‘Steam Client Bootstrapper not responding’ problems. However, when they stop using it in the compatibility mode, Steam will start to work properly. So, you can also try disabling your compatibility mode.
- Step 1: You need to first end all the Steam related programs by clicking on the ‘End’ in Task Manager
- Step 2: Now right-click on the Steam shortcut or .exe file and then choose ‘Properties’
- Step 3: You will find a Compatibility mode tab here. Click it for disabling the mode. Then try opening the Steam and check if it works properly or not
Method 4 – Disable the VPN Programs
The customer support team of Steam has officially stated that your VPN can be the problem for you to run Steam. They also recently found different types of programs that would be incompatible with Steam.
We can try disabling or uninstalling the VPN services temporarily and then starting Steam again. Also, ensure that the VPN programs are uninstalled completely because even if any of the program’s remains are left, they can still create a problem.
Remember that it is compulsory to reboot the entire system after uninstalling the VPN. This will ensure that the registry is updated successfully. If it still is not working, you can try resetting the system’s entire network Winsock settings. But please remember that this should be the last thing to do when any other solution does not work.
- Step 1: Press the Windows + R button to open the ‘run’ tab. Type ‘cmd’ in the box to get the command prompt
- Step 2: Next type the command ‘netsh Winsock reset catalog’ and then press the ‘Enter’ button
- Step 3: If the command works, you may receive a message under this, which states ‘Successfully reset the Winsock Catalog’
Step 4: Ultimately, restart your computer to end the reset, and then open Steam to verify whether or not it is now responding.
Method 5 – Update the Device Graphic Drivers
The outdated graphic drivers can also become a problem for running Steam. This is how you can fix it.
- Step 1: Open the Device Manager, which you will find on the search bar of Windows
- Step 2: Then go to the Display adapters and expand it. Right-click on ‘Graphics Driver’ and select the ‘update driver software’ options
- Step 3: It will take a few minutes to update the drivers. Once the update is completed, then restart your computer
- Step 4: You can now launch Steam and check whether the issue is resolved or not
If in case, the problem still exists, then you can try some other solution
Method 6 – Run as Administrator
You will find a lot of software that requires permission to both read and write. Steam is also on such online video game software that asks for such permission to work correctly. Therefore, if you do not agree to this, then Steam will not be able to launch the bootstrapper. To get rid of this error, you must run it as an administrator.
- Step 1: Find the location of Steam and open it
- Step 2: Next right click on steam.exe file, and there will be a drop-down menu. From here, you need to select the ‘Run as Administrator’ option
- Step 3: Then, launch the Steam by giving it all the required permission to work properly without any error
Method 7 – Disable Cortana
Most users said that their problems were solved by disabling Microsoft’s digital assistant Cortana. It has the rights of an administrator and tracks your behavior to collect data so that they can serve you well. It will interfere with the Steam in many situations and create unnecessary errors.
However, disabling Cortana is not as easy as it was before. If you own the Windows 10, then you can do that by just clicking on the disable option. But Microsoft has removed this option after the updates. Below are the steps that you need to follow to ensure that Cortana is disabled in your system.
- Step 1: First, press Windows + R to launch the ‘Run’ tab and type ‘Regedit’. This command will help in opening the registry editor in front of you. Next, the user will be asked to grant permission for running the program. If you want to do it, then make sure that you press the ‘Yes’ option
- Step 2: Once you reach the registry editor, navigate to the following by copying and pasting the given in the address bar:
- Step 3: It is very much possible that you may not find the ‘Windows Search’ folder. In such cases, you can create a new one by right-clicking on ‘Windows’ and then choose the option ‘New’
- Step 4: Whenever you are in the Windows Search, always right-click on the space and choose ‘DWORD (32bit)’ from the options given in the list
- Step 5: A new list will appear after selecting the option, which will be given a name by the user. You have to name it as ‘AllowCortana’. Double-click on this one after you give it a name and open the ‘Properties’ tab. Then set the ‘Value Data’ as ‘0’ and press ‘OK’ to save this
After you are done with this, close the registry editor and then restart your system. You will surely be able to run Steam without any responding error.
Method 8 – Restart Your Computer
Often simply restarting your computer would help repair the ‘steam client bootstrapper not responding’ error.
When the device is crowded with many programs this will trigger the fault, because there is no space for the bootstrapper to run itself. Restart your computer and operate the steam app to have a better experience to run it without any issue.
There you have the eight most suggested solutions to solve the issue of the steam client bootstrapper not responding issue. Maybe one of these approaches can help you in fixing your gaming problems.
Steam is indeed an excellent platform for everything you may like when it is about games, and it would be disappointing if you cannot use it due to small trivial technical issues. Good Luck for enjoying your Games Online.