Have you noticed that recently when you are taking photos on your iPhone that they are being saved as a HEIC? This is nothing to worry about and in most cases very normal as it’s a new file format that Apple has started to use. If you’re using iOS 11 or later, you may have noticed that photos taken with your iPhone camera are saved as HEIC files instead of the previous format, JPG. This new file format was introduced to offer better compression while still preserving image quality. The problem with HEIC is that it’s not widely compatible with other apps or devices, and you may not be able to open a HEIC photo after moving it to your computer. This article will explain how you can convert an HEIC to a JPG or even how to stop taking pictures in HEIC format altogether.
Essentially, HEIC stands for High-Efficiency Image Container. It’s Apple’s new way to save files to their photo library as it retains the quality of the image better but effectively reduces the size of the image meaning you can take more photos and use less memory. The only issue is that not all applications like it and it can cause some errors when trying to transfer it over to them.
This however is not a problem at all. Luckily there is an easy way for you to convert your HEIC files to a JPG so that you can use them on the applications that require you to use JPG. Simply continue reading this article and we will explain an easy way to convert heic to jpg on an iphone.
Convert HEIC Photos to JPG on iPhone
Follow these steps to easily convert your HEIC photos to JPG on your iPhone
- Load up your photos app and locate the photo you wish to convert on your iPhone.
- Click to copy your chosen photo
- Load the files app on your iPhone
- Ensure you are on the my file section of your phone
- Hold your finger down on the empty area of this folder until the paste box appears
- The photo you copied will now be copied over but saved as a JPG.
- Select the copied image and click to save the image to your photos
Set phone to use JPG moving forward
If you are having lots of issues with your apps not liking HEIC photos then you may wish to change your setting to only use JPG moving forward. These sets are easily done and can be done by following our instructions below.
- Load up your settings app
- Scroll down until you locate the camera category and select it
- Select formats which is located at the top of the screen
- Under ‘camera capture’ select ‘most compatible’
- Go back and this will save your settings.
- This setting will mean your camera will always use JPEG when capturing images moving forward. To go back to HEIC simply follow the instructions above but select ‘high efficiency’ instead of most compatible.
How to know if a photo is HEIC
If you are unsure of the type of photos you have been capturing, the iPhone is very clever and can easily tell you by looking at the photo information. When looking at the information it will let you know other details such as where it was taken, the date and image size etc.
To do so, follow these instructions.
- Located your photos app and load it up
- Click into your albums and load up a photo you know you have taken
- On the bottom menu click the i which has a circle around it
- An information box will slide up presenting you with all the information about this image.
- On the top right you will see a box which will say HEIC or JPEG.