The latest updates provided by the Nvidia, ie, v430.39, is reported making Nvidia Container High CPU Usage where the Container is seen to be using 10% to 20% of the RAM. Nvidia acknowledged the problem, meanwhile, you can apply some quick fixes for this problem.
What Are The Problems That Can Cause High CPU Usage?
There could be a lot of reasons. I am trying to list some of them here:
- The prime reason for CPU throttling is malware. Always use a paid antivirus software and keep running the scans occasionally.
- The second reason is that you are running multiple applications at once. If your computer specs are not that high-end, your PC will struggle a lot.
- Another reason which is also relevant in this Nvidia case is the bad drivers. Report the issue to the manufacturer as soon as you start facing it. Meanwhile, switch back to the older version of that driver.
What is Nvidia container process?
Before going into the tips and tricks to fix the concerned issues, it’s important for you to understand the root cause of this problem. The reasons that might cause Nvidia Container to react in an abnormal way are listed below:
- The first and foremost reason for this problem is the GeForce Experience program.
- The container itself may be a corrupted one and that can be the reason for the high CPU-usage of the Nvidia Container.
- There can also be a problem caused by any third-party application that is impacting the system drivers. This impact will cause an indirect effect on the Nvidia Container to consume more CPU power.
Fix on Windows
When it comes to graphic cards, the PC and laptop market is reigned by one and only, Nvidia. The graphic card is run by the latest drivers so that Windows doesn’t struggle to find the best route to run the games and heavy tasks. You should also install tools like GeForce Experience for an enhanced experience.
The process of installing the graphics card is not that easy and your system will go through multiple processes to complete the installation. Recently, one of these processes started causing some problems in Windows.
However, these services/processes can be turned off but after some recent updates, this functionality is taken away from the users. These processes will be turned on automatically again even if you try stopping them from the installation process. Nvidia Container is the process that will be used to help run various supporting programs smoothly.
Interesting Read: Know about the smallest micro ATX case
Three Easy Tricks to Fix Nvidia Container High CPU Usage
Before Nvidia rolls out the official updated drivers to fix the problem, you can apply these steps to fix the problem.
1. Install old Nvidia drivers
Almost all the users update the drivers to the latest versions as soon as Nvidia rolls them out. The problems start showing up after these updates. As soon as you start facing these problems, you can roll back to the older version and wait for Nvidia to roll out fixed versions.
Follow the steps below to go back to the older drivers.
1. First, start the PC and press Win+R to open the Command Prompt and type devmgmt.msc or you can also right-click on the Start menu and navigate to Device Manager.
2. In the list, click the Display Adapters and right-click on the graphics card. Hit Uninstall.
3. There may be multiple pop-ups appear on the screen and you should wait for them to complete the process. Allow everything that it asks during the uninstallation process.
4. It’s time to open a browser and go to the Nvidia website. Select the graphics card that you are using and select any older version of the driver.
5. Now, click on it and follow the installation process, all you have to do is allowing it to proceed to the next steps and let the installation process complete itself.
6. Check if the problem is resolved and if it is still throttling a lot, you can try installing a different driver.
2. Disable the scheduled tasks and Container service
These two services are also the primary reason for the abnormal behavior of the Nvidia drivers. After the update, these services have a high chance of being corrupted and start consuming high CPU-usage. There are reports by multiple users that the problem can be fixed if you disable the scheduled tasks and container service.
- Go to the Control Panel and then find the Administrative Tool Entry and find the Task Scheduler in the next dialog box.
- Go to the Task Scheduler Library and then search the tasks starting with NvTm. Right-click on it and hit Disable. Find all the NvTm entries, and do this for all of them.
- Close the window and then open the Command Prompt by pressing Win+R and type services.msc.
- Find the Nvidia Telemetry Service, right-click on it and go to Properties.
- In the Properties, if the Services Status is started, turn it off. Also, disable the Start-up Type and hit Apply.
- Confirm all the dialog boxes that appear and save the changes.
- You may find the Error1079 and you can fix it as well by following the steps below.
- Open the cmd and type services.msc.
- Go to Nvidia Telemetry and right-click to find the Log On option.
- This will open a new window and hit the Browse button.
- Type the object name that is showing on the screen and hit Check Names. Wait for a few moments for the process to be completed.
- Hit Ok and enter the password to apply the changes.
3. Remove Geforce Experience
This is the software or the program that will launch the game. The program will also let you install the latest available updates directly from here. There are many users who reported that uninstalling the Geforce Experience will solve the problem of heavy CPU consumption. Follow the steps below to uninstall the program:
- Go to the Control Panel and go to Programs and Features. Hit Uninstall Programs.
- Click the Geforce Experience and hit Uninstall/Change. Follow the on-screen instructions and then restart the computer to apply the changes.
These are the steps that you can follow to resolve the problem. If the problem is not resolved, wait for Nvidia to release the updates that fix the throttling issues.
A whole lot of users get affected due to the Nvidia Container High CPU Usage issue. The company is one of the best, if not the only best, GPU manufacturers in the market right now. Hope the tricks that are provided turn out to be helpful and the high CPU consumption issues can be solved. You should keep yourself updated on the latest drivers through the forums and Nvidia’s official updates.