For a majority of us, the experience of using fountain pens dates back to our school days. You cannot deny that the ink-stained hands and smudged writing gave us the best memories of our lives. Well, nowadays, most of us have gravitated towards ballpoint pens. However, in response to the digital age, the use of fountain pens is on a steep incline.
Moreover, with fountain pens no longer seen as a standard writing device, it has been upgraded to accessory status. You can achieve a unique writing style with the help of a fountain pen. So if you are confused about buying a particular fountain pen, fret not! Today we are reviewing the seven best fountain pens under 50$ by emphasising their various aspects.
Are you always on the move? If you have answered yes to the question, then this pen is your ideal choice. It is one of those fountain pens which is compact and has a slim profile. Its slim profile guarantees a comfortable grip even when you are scribbling or writing for an extended period of time. And if you are an ardent fan of showing off, this fountain pen is a must-have in your collection.
Top Features of the Lamy Al-Star Fountain Pen
- Steel polished nib
One of the highlighting traits of this fountain pen is that it has a polished steel nib. Steel polishing makes the nib look shiny and attractive. Moreover, it also makes the nib last longer. We all know that steel is quite resistant to factors of corrosion and rough usage.
- Use of ABS plastic
ABS plastic has carved a niche for itself because it is durable and sturdy. Thus your pen would sustain fewer damages or wear and tear even when you use it exhaustively.
Pros of using the Lamy All Star Fountain Pen
- Complies well with external cartridges and accessories
- Equipped with an excellent point which gives rise to precision writing
- Offers the best value for money
- Built with high-grade materials
Cons of using the Lamy All Star Fountain Pen
- If you are an average writer, you will find it a bit complicated to write with
- Unaffordable to those who don’t frequently write
- A bit chunky
Well, if you are not so skilled in writing by hand, you need a pen that embodies excellent simplicity of design along with ease of use. The Pilot Prera will indeed be your favorite pen if you want to emphasise precision writing. As you can see, this pen lacks a variety of technical features. This aspect makes this pen a cynosure of all eyes who like to concentrate more on their writing style.
Top features of the Pilot Prera Fountain Pen
- Fountain pen cavalier
On the whole, this fountain pen from Pilot features the cavalier design. In other words, this pen exudes superb writing capability as a result of this design. This augurs well for your various writing endeavours.
- Superb aesthetics
Typically as synonymous with all Pilot pens, this fountain pen also features a great design aesthetic. It is designed in such a way that it is always great to behold. The Pilot Prera is still an excellent choice to carry it around in your breast pocket.
Pros of using the Pilot Prera Fountain Pen
- It is quite affordable to buy and maintain
- Gives way to precision writing even in case of amateurs
- This pen comes from a reputed and well-known brand
- It can work with any type of ink
- You can easily maintain it over a long period of time
Cons of using the Pilot Prera Fountain Pen
- Comes with fewer features
- Would not fetch you a high return on investment
- Not so great a buy
For a successful career in the field of calligraphy or executive business, an attractive pen is of utmost necessity. The bamboo wood is eco-friendly, and the soft gold nib matches precisely with the rest of the pen. It is one of those fountain pens which keep your penmanship smooth. Note that this pen doesn’t come with ink. Thus you have to buy ink separately. However, the manufacturer has clearly illustrated the refilling instructions inside the package.
Top features of the LUXUN BAMBOO FOUNTAIN PEN
- Comes with a medium nib
The nib of this fountain pen is neither too big nor too small. Thus this pen can be used effectively with individuals of varied hand types. In simpler words, you do not need to possess the right size of a hand to use it. In this manner, it facilitates greater convenience of use.
- Bamboo finish
The outer portion of this pen comprises of the bamboo finish, which renders the fountain pen an exquisite look. It can readily enhance the appearance of a workspace. It can also imbue a sense of class and fashion.
Pros of using the LUXUN BAMBOO FOUNTAIN PEN
- This pen comes with one year replacement warranty
- Comes packed within an intricately carved wooden case
- Well-balanced aesthetics thereby facilitating good grip
- Works well in virtually any kind of office
- The bamboo construction makes this pen eco-friendly
Cons of using the LUXUN BAMBOO FOUNTAIN PEN
- You have to buy ink separately which can be a bit of an issue for first-time users
- A bit too complex to apply for an ordinary user
- It is somewhat inconvenient to maintain
The Dryden Luxury Fountain Pen comes in a ton of exciting colors. It is one of the most gorgeous fountain pens you would find under 50$. Moreover, it is available in color variants of black, pink, silver, emerald green, red, deep blue, and purple. With this fountain pen, you can now enjoy a flawless writing experience irrespective of the task you are involved in. The Dryden Luxury Fountain Pen ticks all the boxes when it comes to delivering a great all-round experience.
Top features of the Dryden Luxury Fountain Pen
- Can work with cartridges or liquid ink
It is perhaps one of the best features of this fountain pen. You can use ink cartridges along with liquid ink in this pen. Thus it appeals to an array of fountain pen enthusiasts out there. It also costs less, which is why it has become the best seller. It also comes equipped with an ink converter.
- Facilitates a faster writing experience
The overall construction of the pen has been fully optimised to facilitate a quicker writing experience. In other words, by writing with this pen, you can eliminate excess drag. It is also a reliable choice to use in the long run.
Pros of using the Dryden Luxury Fountain Pen
- The manufacturer packs a PDF of instructions for beginners to use
- It comprises of handcrafted nibs
- Dryden has extensive customer care support
- Comes with a comfortable grip
Cons of using the Dryden Luxury Fountain Pen
- The barrel of this pen doesn’t have a great design
- The flow of the ink is inconsistent
- It doesn’t come with ink
The DELIKE BRASS FOUNTAIN PEN is sometimes known to be inspired by the Kaweco Sport. It is equipped with a fine nib, which facilitates excellent penmanship in any situation and surface. On the other hand, if you want heavier pocket fountain pens under 50$, this may be an ideal choice. The most highlighting trait of this fountain pen is that it lacks adornment. The pen boasts a concave shape, which renders it a bit of sophistication.
Top features of the DELIKE BRASS FOUNTAIN PEN
- Comes in an enticing brass color
Well, this pen is made of raw brass without any electroplating. Thus it is quite reasonable for the color to fade after a short while. After a few months of usage, this pen will boast off a retro color, which is merely vintage to look at.
- Excellent writing experience
If you are thinking that this fountain pen is all about looks, you are wrong! The pen is adept at delivering a smooth and steady writing experience. It also comes with an ink converter in case you are using bottled ink.
Pros of using the DELIKE BRASS FOUNTAIN PEN
- A pen is an excellent option for daily use
- It can write smoothly as it has a steady flow of ink
- Features great design aesthetics which feels comfortable in the hand
- It comes with a more extended base
Cons of using the DELIKE BRASS FOUNTAIN PEN
- Not ideal for people new to the realm of fountain pens
- It doesn’t come with an ink cartridge
- It has capping problems when you use it in the longer run
If you are concerned about the looks of your fountain pen, this is not worth mentioning. However, when the context is about daily use, this fountain pen is simply amazing. This iconic jotter ballpoint pen has now been converted into a fountain pen. While writing with this pen, you would find that the ink hardly bleeds. Thus it facilitates excellent stability during writing. It is light enough to use when you are in an important seminar or conference, and you want to jot down notes.
Top features of the Parker Jotter Fountain Pen
- Comes with a stainless steel barrier
This pen comprises a stainless steel barrier with a medium nib. Interestingly, no one would know that it is a fountain pen until the moment that it has been uncapped. The water-based blue ink of this pen can be used in a wide variety of occasions. From exams to daily assignments, the Parker Jotter Fountain Pen exudes practicality.
- Comes with two small international cartridges
If you are a bit fussy about changing ink periodically, then don’t worry. This pen comes with two small international cartridges, which exudes practicality on daily use. Interestingly this pen is also compliant with a global long cartridge. Moreover, the performance of the nib is quite smooth.
Pros of using the Parker Jotter Fountain Pen
- It is your perfect companion for daily use and taking notes
- Due to its water-based ink, this pen renders you with a smooth writing experience
- It features an ergonomic design
- It boasts off a classic look
Cons of using the Parker Jotter Fountain Pen
- The flow of the ink can be a bit heavy
- In case of replacement of the nib, you have to incur a hefty amount
- The cap comes off quickly due to which it is risky to keep in a pocket
Available in an array of designs and colors, you can be sure to find the right fountain pen for those who give due attention to details. It has a net weight of 37 grams and a diameter of 11mm, which makes it quite easy to handle. It also comes with a push-type clip, which adds style to this classic fountain pen. Well, this pen can be a bit tricky to use owing to its fat nib. It also features a fragile and watery ink.
Some top-notch features of the PICASSO GENTLEMAN COLLECTION FOUNTAIN PEN
- Great design aesthetics
This fountain pen comprises of one of the best designs you can ever see in a fountain pen. It looks quite elegant with a detailed outline. It also comes with a medium tip along with a slight curve. It uses bottled ink for its operation.
- Equipped with a converter
Note that it comes with a converter that makes refilling a breeze. Also, the manufacturer has provided full details about the refilling instructions. Hence while refilling; you don’t have to devote much attention.
- It is one of the best gift items which you can present to your loved ones
- It features the Picasso art and hence is aesthetically exquisite
- Facilitates a smooth writing experience
- A timeless classic which can be kept in your breast pocket
Cons of using the PICASSO GENTLEMAN COLLECTION FOUNTAIN PEN
- It doesn’t come with ink
- It cannot be used as a dip pen
- It is quite common to find that the nib and box design change on the basis of aesthetics
Here is the list of things you should consider while purchasing a fountain pen under 50$.
- Size of your hand
As you would be holding the fountain pen by your side, it is crucial to consider the size of your hand. Thus you should choose one which shouldn’t be oversized or undersized. With this aspect in mind, you can write for long hours without facing any trouble.
- The capacity of the ink barrel
The ink capacity of a fountain pen dictates the maximum length of time you would use it. You should buy one which has a higher ink capacity. This would enable you to write for a more extended period of time.
- Selection of a particular brand
Note that not all brands are created equal. For instance, Pilot is well-known to make pens that boast off simplistic designs. On the other hand, Lamy is famous for precision writing. Thus you should consider various aspects of a brand before choosing it.
- Frequency of use
Frequency of use is another important aspect while selecting a fountain pen. If you write a lot, you need a pen, which should be sturdy and durable. The ink quality should be consistent to render you with a flawless writing experience.
How to clean a fountain pen?
With regular usage, it is quite common for the ink to accumulate on the nib of your fountain pen. In this situation, you would have difficulty writing with the pen. The below-mentioned steps illustrate how a fountain pen should be cleaned for maximum efficiency.
- Disassemble the pen
Separate the various parts of the fountain pen with utmost care
- Place the nib in water
Always place the nib in warm water. Hot water can damage the nib, and cold water may not remove the accumulated ink easily
Rinse the nib thoroughly so that to eliminate stubborn stains
- Drying the nib
Use a clean piece of cloth to wipe the nib. This also ensures that are no excess moisture
So let’s hope that the fountain pens, as mentioned above, pens under 50$ would help you to implement a wise buying decision. In light of this, you can opt to buy at least one of the pens we have reviewed above. All the pens we reviewed exude practicality for daily usage. We wish you good luck with your writing career.