Portable gaming may seem new, but its roots go back further than many realize. Recalling back to early gaming days with devices like Gameboy and Gamegear before moving up to newer versions and consoles developed with technological progress over time. Gameboy Color was especially beloved during this era, as it is considered an all-time classic!
Today’s industry offers gamers an abundance of portable gaming devices – the Nintendo Switch, 3DS, and Steam Deck have each taken the art of portable gaming to new levels, as have PSP, PS Vita, smartphones, and tablets.
Smartphones and tablets have arguably helped to take the industry to all-time highs and increase its popularity with gamers, as they have the ability to connect to the internet. This has led to a newer type of gaming being made possible, as they can access a variety of different titles whenever they want. Whether it be mobile-specific games, or even those available at an online casino NZ such as slots or table games, players are free to enjoy them whenever they want.
5 Reasons Why Portable Gaming Has Grown in Popularity
While there could potentially be even more reasons, these are the five biggest that help us understand just why portable gaming continues to grow in popularity:
- Versatility: Players can get enhanced gaming experiences as they are able to play in the way that they want. For instance, the Nintendo Switch can be used as a handheld console or plugged into the TV and used as a traditional games console would.
- Convenience: Arguably the biggest reason, convenience is at an all-time high. Gamers do not always have the time to sit down and play; therefore, portable devices give them the opportunity to enjoy a session whenever they get a moment’s rest to play. These gadgets are typically small in size, thus making them easy to have in a bag with you when traveling.
- Better technology: Portable game consoles have evolved in terms of their graphics. Before, Gameboy would provide users with basic features and pixelated images. Now, stunning visuals are the norm as graphics have improved, and technology has allowed the devices to handle them easily. Additionally, many portable gaming devices now have touchscreens, thus allowing players to get a more immersive experience.
- Affordable: In comparison to traditional home game consoles, portable devices are typically more affordable. With the cost-of-living crisis being experienced globally and less disposable income now available, enthusiasts have had to look at alternative ways to enjoy their favourite pastimes. With these devices more affordable, they have started to purchase these, which has increased their popularity.
- Range of games: Portable game devices have improved as the years have gone by, as more options are available to players. Before, they would have been stuck with a limited range of titles. However, with the help of technology, gamers can enjoy the same types of games that were previously only possible to play on traditional game consoles.
The portable gaming industry is clearly enjoying a surge in popularity, and with the five reasons highlighted above, it is not hard to see why. As technology continues to develop and improve, it would not be a surprise if we saw new innovative devices be released within this niche that only help elevate it further.