Most of us have more things to do than can reasonably be completed in a day. It’s never a bad idea to consider delegating some tasks or talking to a manager about lessening your workload, but it’s also possible that you’re spending a lot of time on useless computer-related tasks.
That’s especially true if you work on a computer. Managing files, searching the internet, and locating programs can take a lot of time. But they don’t have to!
Here are three time-saving computer hacks that are perfect for work.
Learn How to Convert and Edit Any Type of File
Inevitably, there will come a day when you have to convert a file so you can edit it in a different format. Figuring out how can be maddening. If you ask a coworker to help, you’re just driving them mad instead.
Do yourself a favor and work with the best online OCR tool. It does all the work for you by enabling you to edit your file and convert it to any format in literal seconds. There’s no need to figure out how to convert a PDF file so you can edit it or figure out how to convert another file to a PDF so it can be submitted, saving you untold amounts of time and preventing frustration.
Learn Some Shortcuts
Using a mouse to locate files and perform actions is quick, but after a full day of work, all that mousin’ around can really add up. Not to mention, using a mouse consistently can be really hard on your wrists. If you aren’t careful, it can contribute to carpal tunnel syndrome.
You can reduce the amount of time you spend using your mouse and give your wrists a little bit of a break by learning some handy keyboard shortcuts:
- Ctrl+C copies selected content
- Ctrl+V pastes the content you copied
- Ctrl+Z undoes your previous action
- Ctrl+S saves the file you’re working on
- Ctrl+F opens a search tool to find a word or phrase on a website
- Alt+F4 closes an active program
- Ctrl+K inserts a hyperlink
Know Search Engine Hacks
You can find literally anything on the internet. That opens up a world of possibilities, but finding exactly what you’re looking for can be a huge hassle.
There are a lot of Google search tricks you might not know about that can make locating information on the internet a lot easier.
A few search engine hacks to try include:
- Use quotes to search for words in a specific order
- Use a hyphen to exclude specific words from your search
- Use a colon to search for information on a specific website
- Use “related:” to find sites that are similar to the ones you enter
- Use “OR” to search for two different words or phrases
Computers are a tool we all use, but some of us use them better than others. When you use the tips on this list to your advantage, you’ll be able to save time so you can focus your attention on getting some actual work done.