There are times when we have multiple copies of a single file that not only takes away lots of storage space but also adds up the junk in our windows PC. To get rid of such redundant duplicate files, you should opt for a duplicate file finder which will run a check across all the folders and directories of your computer to see how many duplicate files are present. Once you get an idea, you can either get rid of them or reduce the number of duplicate files.
Benefits of removing duplicate files
There are several benefits of using a duplicate file finder:
- Frees the space in your windows PC
- Reduces the redundant disk space
- Clears out the cache and speeds up the RAM
- Adds up to the processing speed of your PC
5 Paid Duplicate File Finder Tools
Gemini 2 is an all purpose duplicate file finder tool supported by Mac OS. The tool is created by the developer of CleanMyMac X. Gemini 2 is made with the purpose of scanning and deleting the unneeded duplicate copies of any file type, thereby clearing the space of the computer hard drive. Plus, it improves the overall performance of your PC with minimal lags. This software is unquestionably the best on the list that is much preferred by the user for its multi-functional abilities.
It features smart algorithms that come inbuilt to track and keep the files of your choice. Additionally, the software comes with a number of search opportunities to allow better scanning accuracy. By letting you put the file type, size, name, and location, it makes the entire process easier to search and delete the desired file quickly.
- Can scan about a ton of duplicate files on your Mac device
- Can detect similar data files throughout the PC hard drive, network and cloud storage as well as the external drives
- Smarter file sorting features makes the entire search and deletion process easy
- Intuitive user interface with simplified navigation system
- Distracting gamification feature
Easy Duplicate Finder is best on the list for Windows OS. This software tool comes with a set of more than 10 scan and search modes for better management of the duplicate files. For instant search, you can sort by the desired file name; this in turn increases the accuracy of the entire process. Other than that, sort by location, type, or size etc., options are also available in this software.
Easy duplicate file finder is not only designed to dredge the similar files from the hard drive, but also from other areas prone to redundancy. It also sorts out the files from cloud storage, including Dropbox and Google Drive. This user-friendly tool interface is built with an advanced technology for identifying duplicate content, and not just only sorting the files with similar size, type or extension.
- Quick and simple user interface
- Effectively manages redundant files
- Facilitates comparison in terms of fi,e content and not just the file type or size
- Smart and precise search engine
- Scans files from cloud storages
- You need to get the commercial version of this software if you want to delete over 10 redundant files at a stretch.
Duplicate Sweeper is yet another high-end redundant file finder that is compatible with both the Windows and Mac OS. This software impeccably sorts out the non-necessary duplicate files from cloud storage and hard drive. Be it a text document or other multimedia files, this incredible tool scans and deletes any similar looking files.
The software is fully customizable and conducts faster removal of the desired selected files. The tool successfully compares the file content, regardless of the different size, type or name of the file. This accuracy makes Duplicate Sweeper quite reliable to its users. Overall, it delivers a personalized cum comprehensive duplicate file removing experience.
Sleek, Easy-to-Use Interface. The Duplicate Sweeper has a user-friendly interface that’s extra easy to navigate. This Mac and Windows software makes finding, selecting, and removing duplicate files, extra quick and easy. You can choose to either have the duplicates removed automatically, which is faster, or carry out a review of the results before removing those that don’t belong. The duplicates are moved to the Recycle bin or the Trash, allowing you to restore them in case you accidentally remove important files. If the deleted files are not present in Recycle Bin or Trash, the you can make use of Remo File Recovery and restore all your important files in few simple steps.
- Effectively removes the file with similar content even if the filename is not the same
- Sleek and easy user interface to conduct a quicker scanning process
- Search results can be categorised on the basis of file location
- Features a 3-dimensional graphical representation to find the duplicate prone areas on your device storage
- Demo mode doesn’t delete the redundant files found (if any).
Duplicate Cleaner Pro is a one-stop solution for its nature of scanning duplicate content irrespective of different filenames. This software tool intelligently picks and compares the similar looking(content) files, be it a video clip, image, or other documents. Then deletes those copies without a fail. Cleaner Pro is supported by Windows platform and features an easily navigable user interface.
The software has an inbuilt advanced algorithm of strategically searching each corner of the storage location to enhance accuracy. The good part of using this software is it has a restore option to retrieve the accidentally deleted data.
- Quick scanning and removal of duplicate files through an easy to use interface
- Customised filtering with automatic selection of the files to be deleted
- Compares same content of two or more files with different filenames
Cannot stop the ongoing search in the middle.
Check Out: ccleaner Alternatives
5. Tidy Up 5
The Tidy Up 5 is an entirely re-developed software tool supported by the Mac Operating System. This software provides a number of libraries support to dredge off the redundant files from the system’s hard drive. The software is compatible with Mail, iTunes, Aperture, and more to scan and compare duplicates from these locations.
It is a customizable tool with a user-friendly interface that ensures precision in quick deletion of the unwanted similar files. There are several criteria offered by the software to allow an in-depth search and comparison of similar file contents. You can quickly sort any of the specified content by putting its file type, size, location, or name on the search dialog.
- Quickly and efficiently gathers duplicates file contents in the Lightroom Library
- Availability to manage the search outputs at an admin level
- User friendly interface with easy navigation features
- Can review the search results
5 Free Duplicate File Finder Tools
DupeGuru is a cross-platform Graphical User Interface software that scans, selects, and deletes duplicate files from your PC with the purpose of freeing up the hard drive storage. This software prevents your system from unnecessary lag. It is built with an advanced algorithm that intelligently compares duplicacy among the file contents even if the filenames are differently saved. In a nutshell, the software takes only minutes to conduct a thorough search.
- Includes several scan types followed by multiple operational modes
- Can personalize the search engine as per your selected location
- Provides a review of the list of duplicate files before you finally delete them
- Efficient and reliable software with options to filter specific files
- The user interface may not be up to the mark.
Interesting Read: Aroma File Manager
The Auslogics duplicate file finder follows an advanced algorithm of sorting out the redundant duplicate files from your computer. This high-end tool not only compares by file name, but also by the file content to eliminate every possibility of leaving any duplicate file undeleted.
The advanced matching algorithm takes a shorter time to search and drag out the similar files and delete the same. The user friendly interface with an easy navigation system is a bliss. Simply select the location, size, and file type as per your requirement, scan it straight and get the instant search results. This software tool is developed to accommodate varied methods and modes for a customized redundant file cleaning experience.
- Fast scanning of the duplicate files
- Effectively search outs within minutes
- Easy to use interface
- Industry-acknowledged software tool
- Inconvenient selection of file folders
Alldup is yet another free duplicate file finder with several search modes available. Plus, it includes a number of scanning methods to weed out similar files from your PC. You can conduct the search among an unlimited set of folders and files.
This software tool ensures precise management of redundant files by sorting the files by content, date, size, extension, and other related attributes. The good part of Alldup is you can create a separate folder where you can primarily save all the duplicate contents and then can decide which one to delete or keep.
- Easy identification and selection of similar images for review before deletion
- Allows file sorting by date, folder tree, etc.
- Ignores ID3 as well as EXIF tags during file comparison
The software is a bit complicated to be handled by newbies.
Clonespy is less time consuming. It identifies and dredges out the duplicate files from your system’s hard drive just in a click. This software tool follows a smart matching algorithm to do the entire task so easily and instantly. Other than that, it finds and deletes other blank or older file versions in a flash.
This fully customizable duplicate file finder freeware can do a lot more. Just like Alldup, here you can create a checksum to enlist specific files from your hard drive and then recheck if any of them already exist in the system or not.
- Multiple search methods and scan modes make the entire process quite accurate and straight
- Lets you decide what next to do after scanning out the duplicate files
- Compares previously imported checksums with the ones stored in the hard drive of the PC system
User interface requires refurbishing.
5. Anti Twin
Anti Twin is a powerful software tool designed to perform accurate search, identification, and deletion of duplicate files. It also has the ability to find Unicode files. This feature makes it different from the rest others on the list. The software is laden with several useful features with many feasible hints and a multilingual user interface. Overall, the tool is quite efficient and works speedily in sorting and clearing redundant files.
- Compatible with all the major OS platforms: Windows, Mac and Linux
- Different versions of this tool is available to be downloaded with or without the installer
- Provides useful search suggestions and can search for duplicate images as well
- Conducts search for Unicode files
Now that you have an idea about the best duplicate file finders, you can opt for any of the above options since we have researched and added both the free and paid options. Once you download any of the above software, you will be able to see a noticeable difference in the processing speed of your computer. This happens because duplicate files may end up taking too much space inside your PC.