The Redmi Y2, the second device from Xiaomi’s Redmi Y series, has today been launched in India. The handset is aimed at the camera-centric folks in the country and will be available online exclusively from Amazon India.
The device has stood out among recent smartphone launches as it features a 5.99-inch HD+ (1440×720 pixels) FullView display in 18:9 aspect ratio and houses an eye-catching, unique antenna line design on its rear. The Redmi Y2 also boasts a vertical dual-lens camera setup similar to what the company had used on the Redmi Note 5 Pro.
Under the hood, the device is powered by an Octa-core Snapdragon 625 SoC coupled with Adreno 506 GPU. In terms of memory, the device is available in two variants – 3GB of RAM + 32GB of storage and 4GB of RAM + 64GB of storage. It comes with a dedicated microSD card slot allowing users to expand the storage up to 256GB.
As for the cameras, the Redmi Y2 sports a 12MP primary camera with f/2.2 aperture, PDAF and secondary 5MP camera. On the front, the device sports a 16MP selfie shooter with LED flash. The device supports AI-based Beautify 4.0 feature and offers Superpixel technique that combines four pixels into a single large pixel. Xiaomi says this technology reduces noise, captures more light, and overall improves photos taken in low-light conditions.
The Redmi Y2 packs a generous 3,080mAh battery. Connectivity options on the device include Dual SIM, 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.2, GPS, micro USB 2.0 and a 3.5mm audio jack. The device also features a fingerprint sensor and has face unlock support, allowing users to unlock the device using their face. The Redmi Y2 runs on Android 8.1 Oreo with the company’s custom MIUI 9.5 skinned on top.
Xiaomi Redmi Y2 Key Specifications:
- Display: 5.99-inch | HD+ (720 x 1440 pixels) | 18:9 aspect ratio
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 625 | Adreno 506 GPU
- RAM: 3/4GB
- Storage: 32/64GB; expandable up to 256GB via microSD
- Operating System: Android 8.1 Oreo with MIUI 9.5
- Rear Camera: AI Dual 12MP + 5MP | LED flash | 1.25μm pixel size | PDAF | 1.25μm pixel size
- Front Camera: 16MP | soft-light LED flash | AI Beautify 4.0
- Connectivity: Dual SIM | 4G VoLTE | Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n | Bluetooth 4.2 | GPS
- Battery: 3080 mAh
- Dimensions: 160.73 × 77.26 × 8.1 mm
- Weight: 170 grams
- Other: Fingerprint Sensor | Face Unlock | AI Portrait Shots | 3.5mm audio jack
Price & Availability:
As we said earlier, the Redmi Y2 has been launched in two memory variants. The 3GB RAM + 32GB Storage variant has been priced at INR 9999, and the 4GB RAM + 64GB Storage model is priced at INR 12999. The first sale of the device will be held on June 12 at 12 PM exclusively on Amazon India and Mi.com. Initially, the device will be available in Elegant Gold, Dark Grey and Rose Gold colour options and the company will launch the Lake Blue colour after a month.
Redmi Y2 Launch Offers:
- Free mobile case (Included in the box)
- Get INR 1800 cashback and up to 240GB data free from Airtel
- 5% instant discount on ICICI debit and credit cards
What are your thoughts on the new Redmi Y2 and would you want to pick one up? Let us know in the comments.