The BlackBerry KEY2 has been officially unveiled today in NewYork event, offering physical keyboard fans a fresh new look and a bit of extra punch under the hood. In terms of design, the new KEY2 is identical to the KEYOne that launched at the MWC 2017, but the former packed with few important upgrades that matter the most. The KEY2 has made up of Series 7 aluminium alloy frame and the company included Textured diamond grip non-slip back for a more elegant look.
The BlackBerry KEY2 comes with a 4.5-inch display with a resolution of 1620 x 1080 pixels, resulting in an aspect ratio of 3:2 with 433 PPI. The screen is further protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 3. Just below the display, the KEY2 sports a 4-row QWERTY physical backlit keyboard that responds to touch gestures and supports flick typing as well.
Like its predecessor, the keyboard supports up to 52 customizable shortcuts, and the spacebar comes with a fingerprint sensor embedded into it. Additionally, the keyboard featuring the all-new Speed Key that makes it possible to activate shortcuts to apps and initiate actions from anywhere without returning to the home screen or swiping endlessly.
On the photography front, the KEY2 sports a 12MP rear camera with f/1.8 aperture and a 12MP secondary camera for depth effect. On the front, it houses an 8MP selfie shooter. Other specs of the KEY2 include Snapdragon 660 SoC, 6GB of RAM, 64/128GB of internal storage with microSD card support up to 2TB.
The device packs a 3500mAh with Quick Charge 3.0 support. BlackBerry claims that you can get two days of battery life with a single charge. The KEY2 runs on Android 8.1 Oreo out of the box, with BlackBerry mark of security and privacy features.
BlackBerry KEY2 Specifications:
- Display: 4.5″ (1620×1080 pixels/433 PPI)| 3:2 aspect ratio | Gorilla Glass 3
- Processor: Octa-core Snapdragon 660 | Adreno 512 GPU
- RAM: 6GB RAM
- Storage: 64GB/128GB; microSD up to 2TB
- Operating System: Android 8.1 Oreo
- Rear Camera: 12MP primary | F1.8 | Pixel – 1.28µm | FOV 79.3° | dual-tone LED Flash | Dual PDAF | 12MP secondary | F2.6 | Pixel-1.0µm | FOV 50°
- Front Camera: 8MP | Selfie Flash using LCD
- Connectivity: Hybrid dual SIM | 4G VoLTE | Wi-Fi 802.11 ac | Bluetooth 5 LE | GPS | NFC | USB Type-C 3.0
- Battery: 3360mAh | Quick Charge 3.0
- Dimensions: 151.4 × 71.8 × 8.5 mm
- Weight: 168 grams
- Other: 4-row Physical QWERTY backlit keyboard | Fingerprint sensor in space bar | Speed Key | 3.5mm audio jack | FM Radio | Dual microphones
BlackBerry KEY2 price starts at $649 (£579/$829) in the USA. It comes in Black and Silver colour options and will be available in USA, Canada, Germany, UK, France, and China by the end of this month. A wider global rollout is expected in July, including India.